Dateline: Wiethagen, Germany — It happened last August but is only now being publicized, out of respect for the family of the deceased.
Relax, it’s nothing morbid, or terribly inappropriate. Unless you believe it’s inappropriate to get all of the guests at a funeral high.
As the U.K. newspaper The Guardian reports, 13 people enjoying traditional post-funeral coffee and cake at a local restaurant were in need of medical treatment after they reported feeling dizzy and nauseous.
It wasn’t food poisoning. Turns out a restaurant employee had asked his 18-year-old daughter to bake the cakes to serve to mourners after the funeral. Which the daughter did.
However, the daughter had also baked a cake for a different occasion, and that cake was laced with hashish. She placed both cakes in the same freezer, but apparently didn’t bother to tell anyone about the one cake’s special ingredient.
The girl’s mother then went to the freezer to grab the funeral cake and allow it to thaw. Guess which cake she accidentally grabbed by accident?
Police reportedly investigated the incident. No word on the outcome.